The realities of having two

It looks like it's about to rain. The Kid is asleep, so I decide to quickly pop outside and get the washing off the line and inside before it's wet again.

I plop The Girlie in a wrap on my tummy and head out the door. Right before I do so, she starts crying and I think, "Oh, great, I bet that just woke The Kid up..." Still, I head out the door.

And fair enough, as I'm standing outside, underneath the washing line picking down clothes and nappies, The Girlie is crying/screaming in my wrap and from the house I hear The Kid doing the same, crying/screaming as he's just woken up and got out the bed and realised that no-one's home.

You know what? It's... way, way easier having just one.

And boy do I feel like crying, too, in the end of the day when one is in bed and the other one not quite yet and I'm thinking, please, please, please go to sleep so I can go to sleep, too!

I guess we're going through exactly what having two is supposed to feel like.

5 comments:

  1. That's definitely what I remember! Eldest started night terrors at the same time as youngest arrived too, not helpful. We'd get half an hour of screaming when he woke after his day time nap which would wake youngest etc, etc. Hopefully the Kid is only complaining cos mum wasn't immediately available and he recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have day care for your eldest? I really enjoyed the time at home only with the youngest one, during there 5 hours forenoon. It's really difficult to cope alone with two kids with a such a small age difference. It's exhausting, nothing else. I found it really helpful to have as much as possible play dates for the eldest one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm getting it sorted now: a neighbor will be taking him to preschool along with her own daughter, so I'll start having these relaxed mornings twice a week. Yay!

      Delete
  3. Belated congratulations, Maria, for the Girlie!
    I must say I was already gradually "waiting" for that type of a post. And I guess the jealousy stuff is still just on the way to come. Been there, am there with my 2 years and 4 months old boy and 5 months old girlie. The boy has luckily been going to daycare until now, so I can at least have some little enjoyable time with girlie. The boy is now off from daycare for 2 summer months and well... to say the least I'm just anxiously waiting for those couple of hours of daily nap and praying for 2 of them somehow coincide in that. Sometimes happens, sometimes not. And here we go - she's already crying in the other room. So I'll go a pick her so that the boy could finish his nap uninterruptedly. Of course, there are moments of joy and enjoyment, too. But mostly it feels like survival course :) But we'll survive, sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so we're one month in and - knock on wood - it's getting easier! Or I'm getting better, don't know.

      Delete