On taking charge of medical matters

There comes a point when several - different - medical issues are involved when what one medical professional says contradicts what the other one says, and I'm standing there in the middle, thinking, hmm.

Take this glucose test, for example, that came back today: my first reaction was to tear up, the next one was to swear and write a little angry note, and then, the next one, was to think how inconveniently cumbersome this whole thing has become. In short, to start feeling pity towards myself.

But then, after that, I thought... wait a minute.

It occurred to me - because I'd come close last time I was pregnant - that glucose tolerance tests don't go from "yes, you are healthy" to "oh no, you have diabetes"; there is an in-between part which is called something along the lines of "low tolerance of glucose" (or something) which is basically a little grey area marking people whose insulin isn't doing what it's supposed to, but it's not massively compromised yet.

And I started to get that itchy little feeling in my stomach somewhere that started telling me, "I bet you're in that little grey area. Seriously."

And because of that, when that medical professional did call me in the afternoon to follow up a text message sent earlier in the day, I actually asked her, "So, what was the reading itself?"

And you know what? Turns out, I was right: my reading did come back outside of a healthy range, but... it's not massively out. Not yet, anyway.

Now, don't get me wrong here: gestational diabetes is an issue worth considering and I am by no means saying that I am going to ignore the thing - because that's definitely not what I want to be doing - but I am saying that at this point, where I am starting to get caught in the middle of midwives, obstetricians, endocrinologists, GPs, neurologists and now diabetics nurses, I am starting to get to a point where not everything each of them says goes down well with what others of them say.

Basically - some of the stuff is starting to contradict the others.

That my obstetrician and my midwife are a bit like fruit and veggies balancing on the opposite ends of scales doesn't surprise me much - I had a feeling going into this thing already that, eventually, that might turn out to be the case. They're starting points are different.

That Christchurch medical professionals have had a thing or two to say against Dunedin professionals who handled The Kid's birth doesn't surprise me much either - again, different regions, different cultures, different times, different starting points.

But being caught in the middle here, with such a limited driving situation and such a rural physical location - which has made balancing all these little appointments tricky (and don't even get me started on being a mom to a 2-year-old) - it has pushed me to start standing up for myself more.

Not because I want to be stubborn, or inconsiderate, or difficult for medical receptionists to work with - no, I am sorry for all of that and I will keep on politely apologising whenever you guys tell me to come in Wednesday at 10 am and I ask if we can please make it Thursday after 12 pm instead.

But I am starting to balance my emotional wellbeing against all this physical medical observation.

There's a line there: a line I am walking not only at how closely my blood markers are observed, and my little girl's growth monitored, but also how stretched and tired I may become if I go through all this medical hoopla without saying to anyone that, look, this is really, really difficult here.

I've been there with The Kid already, I know what it feels like: it's weeks of super-close medical observation and intervention if necessary, it's lots of doctors and nurses helping out doing this and that, and when the day arrives when The Kid finally qualifies to be let home with his parents, it's his parents who suddenly find themselves at home, ecstatic at first, but then simply tired and drained because there isn't much left any more - and that's not cool.

Scenes from Dunedin NICU, back when The Kid was born

And I keep telling myself, ahead of time, that this time it will not be just one baby, it will be a baby and a toddler, and I need to get myself to that other end not only monitored well, but in a reasonably good emotional condition, also.

And because of that... I am starting to stand up for myself. Especially when what one medical professional says doesn't hold up well against what the other medical professional says.

I know they are all trying to do their job well. I understand that.

But I am also needing to do my job of being a happy mother well.

1 comment:

  1. Seda diabeetti saab reguleerida söödes rohkem aluselist toitu. Aluseline toit
    Peab olema ylekaalus, muidu happeline toit teeb keha haigeks. Ise just tegelen sellega.
    Honestly Healthy. Eat with your body in mind the alkaline way. Natasha Corrett and Vicki Edgson.
    + märgiga aluseline, hea, - märgiga happeline, paha. Kui sööd körge plussiga toiduinet, siis vöid natuke happelist miinust ka syya.
    Mu abikaasa diebeetik, minul muud hädad, aga see möjub hästi. Soovitan! Eesti keeles ilmus ta Varrakul.
    Önne ja edu!

    ReplyDelete