On living on the main supply line

On mornings like this I am oh-so-grateful to be living on the same power line that feeds the radio transmitter. Oh, so-so grateful!

It's been blowing a gale the whole night (and up here, gale really is gale!), so not at all surprisingly when I got up at around 5.30 this morning the power was already out. I set up the candles, The Man cooked us a warm brew on the Trangia set and then I called our power company.

"Good morning, I'd like to report a power outage."
"What's the address, please?"
[give him the address]
"Oh, yeah, there's a few of those down your way!"
"Yeah, it's a wee bit windy..."

A few minutes of chatting and he told us that the power would probably be back by about 8.30. Like, 8.30 in the morning?, I asked him, incredulous.

"Yup, 8.30 in the morning," he confirmed.

I was stunned for a moment. I looked towards The Man who'd been listening on. We both raised our eyebrows in surprise.

"Wow, okay... Awesome! Thank you!" I said, I think, and we hang up.

And then we laughed.

Not even 10 minutes later there were Orion people up at our driveway, and not even 10 minutes after that the fridge turned on with that familiar, click!, and then we laughed again.

And then The Man said how other people, when choosing where to live, will look at how close the schools are, and public transport, and that sort of stuff, but he will want to see our future house sit on the same supply line that feeds some important facilities, a hospital maybe or a medical centre or something =D

(And I have a feeling he said that only half-jokingly.)

Because this is how it goes: if we were just two lone houses up here - and nothing else - then I'm pretty sure that we would be the last people in line to get our power put back on. Heck, our driveway itself is more than a kilometre off the main line!

But because our power line goes past our house and then on to the radio transmitter... Bang! We're the first in line to get switched back on. Like magic!

Remember that big spring storm that kept parts of Canterbury off grid for a week? We were out for, I think, four hours or something. And now I am sitting here, typing on my computer at 7 o'clock in the morning, the internet's on, the fridge is on, the toilet flushes... All whilst behind our windows the wind still roars.

Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment