Pregnancies, babies and hospitals

Coincidences.

A few months back I discovered a book I wanted to read, Ready for Air by Kate Hopper. I requested it from my local library and today, it arrived.

I am only 5 pages in at the moment, but already I look at it and think, hmm, interesting - what coincidences.

Because, you see, I had an unexpected visit to Dunedin hospital last week and reading Kate Hopper's Ready for Air now reminds me of it.

What happened last week was that I woke my husband in the middle of the night with what sounded like very laboured, struggling breathing and when he then started asking me if I were alright, apparently I started arching on my back in what looked like a seizure.

I, of course, have no idea about any of that because as far as I was concerned, I was sleeping. All I know is that at some point when I woke up, The Man was asking me all silly questions like "How are you feeling?", and "Do you know where you are?", and "Do you know who I am? What's my name?"

I was looking at him, squinting my eyes in drowsy sleepiness, and answering automatically, "Yeah, I know who you are. You're [insert name here]. I'm feeling okay."

"Do you know where you are?" he repeated his earlier question.

I looked around the room. "No."

"Can you figure it out if you think about it for a moment?" he asked.

I couldn't. I did look around the room, even stood up to go see the lounge, but couldn't, for the life of me, tell him what this place was - which, I probably don't have to add here, The Man found suspicious.

Apparently, it had already taken him more than half an hour to wake me up - he'd been talking to me, shaking me, pinching me, even biting me - and once I was finally awake he was intent on making sure I was, actually, you know... okay.

And then, to top things off, I started vomiting and immediately afterwards came down with a heavy, heavy headache, closely followed by a few dizzy spells.

The rest of the morning I only remember in scarce, broken pieces because for the most part, I lay in bed trying to sleep through my headache and my nausea, whilst The Man was discussing what had happened with my midwife (over the phone) and with his dad (who is a pharmacist).

And the reason why Kate's book reminds me of it is because the stuff I am describing here is pretty much exactly the sort of stuff that Kate Hopper is describing in her book - the sort of stuff she was warned against when her doctors first started suspecting pre-eclampsia.

Except, unlike Kate Hopper, I do not have pre-eclampsia.

I still don't know what it was that I had.

After The Man had spoken to my midwife who asked us to see a doctor, and after we'd seen a doctor in Balclutha who asked us that we see a doctor in Dunedin, and after we'd spent the whole day in Dunedin where one after another doctors came to check me out - we still were none of the wiser.

I have beautiful blood pressure (90/60), I am not leaking any protein, I have beautiful blood sugar and all sorts of other blood markers (only with the exception of somewhat low potassium) and, basically, there seems to be no reason I would've felt ill - except, I was. I had a headache which was bad enough I was struggling to look at any lights, even after Paracetamol, and I was nauseous, and I was getting dizzy spells - but I didn't have pre-eclampsia (and I was too early to get pre-eclampsia anyway because I am only 22 weeks pregnant now).

But... then it sort of begs the question that... what the hell was it then!?

I don't know. All I know is, whatever it was, it passed.

I will put my laptop aside now and keep on reading Kate Hopper's Ready for Air. If nothing else I will at least learn a little more about her journey, and maybe remind myself of what my own journey through NICU 2.5 years ago was like.

The Kid is asleep. It's quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment