Feather duvet: lesson learned

The yard looks like someone's killed a chicken because, turns out, making a feather duvet out of a pillow is much easier than making a pillow out of a feather duvet. (Getting feathers out of those dividing stitches is effin' awkward!)

But on the flipside, The Kid thinks it's great. Awesome, really.







So, yeah, if you, too, want a feather pillow and can't find a pillow for sale, per se, and decide to buy a cheap feather duvet from Salvation Army instead, thinking, I can take those feathers and stick them into a pillowcase!, then I suggest you do it outside and preferrably in a place where you really don't mind the mess that ensues.

Just sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. Feathers definitely prefer to escape rather than be captured. Make sure your feather pillow is made from downproof fabric, otherwise those feathers will once again be proving that they love to escape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use an old curtain fabric which used to have rubber backing but it's mostly worn off now, so it doesn't feel "rubbery" and sweaty any more, but it does give fabric enough strength to keep the feathers in. I did the same when I made that feather duvet last year and it's worked very well, so I am hoping it will work just as well with this pillow here. PS. The yard still looks like someone's killed a chicken... Or maybe it's snowed, but only on that one patch there.

      Delete
  2. Kristina5.12.13

    That pic with the kid smiling and "helping" dog smile just made my day =)))
    I miss summer sooooo much, it's snowing in Tallinn, big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way the dog looks on that photo :P. And I miss snow, like, big time. Proper, country-wide snow, not just on mountaintops like it settles here...

      Delete