An hour worth listening to

Every now and again a Smart Talk so fascinating comes up that my mind embraces it for days afterwards and then I head onto Radio New Zealand's website and... listen to it again.

Last Tuesday's "Smart Talk: Tangaroa and Poseidon - our oceans" was one of them. In fact, it was probably the most fascinating hour I've heard from the Auckland Museum series and I sincerely recommend you listen to it, too.

It takes a while to pick up speed (mostly because the host just won't shut up at first!) but if you tune in at 10 minutes into it, I hope you, too, spend a fascinating hour in company of people who not only know their topic well, but they talk about it well.

www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player/2578361

They talk about fish, and fishing - about how catching snapper then goes down the line and influences not only the number of kina, but the amount of seaweed, and then all the little organisms that rely on seaweed; and how New Zealand used to be the first in the world to start a marine reserve, and what has happened since; and... it's interesting, what they talk about. Fascinating.

***

And on a similar topic: I will head to my local library today and try to get my hands on Rob Hewitt's book "Treading Water". They've been reading it on the radio for the past few days and I've found this guy's story, too, a fascinating one.

In case you're not aware of who Rob Hewitt is - as I wasn't, either - then he's a diver that was swept up by a sea current near Kapiti island in 2006, and subsequently spent 4 days and 3 nights floating on water, seeing the helicopters search for him - 40 km too far! - and battling not only the environment itself (waves, salt... sunshine - Rob was sunburnt to a point of having sores on his face) but his own spiritual beginnings and hope and determination that kept him alive. That, and a fair bit of luck.

By the time they picked him up he was bloated, sunburnt, hallucinating and his family essentially grieving a man that was presumed to be the object of a body search and not a diver search any more, and I'd like to read that book. I've missed a few of the radio's readings, so I'd like to fill in those gaps in between.

I like reading. I like Radio New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment