Keep away from that lady on the bicycle

Me and Mocha went biking today. It was... uhm... fun. Really.

Because all in all, Mocha did really well. For a dog that had never come across a concept of a bike before, she got used to the routine real quick, like, in about 15 minutes. There were a few blips here and there, of course - you know, the usual stuff.

Like, when we first got going the first thing she did was run in front of my bike. I braked. But you know what happens when a dog keeps running whilst the person holding the leash stops abruptly?

Boing!

(Oops, sorry, Mocha.)

We tried again. 5 metres, 10 metres, 15 metres - I was starting to think, hey, this might actually work! A car approached (we were still in the car park) and Mocha jumped away from the car - guess in which direction? Towards me and the bike.

So, Mocha jumps into my pedals, I brake, she - now scared of the bike - jumps away from the bike but gets caught short on the leash again (boing!), I start toppling, me and The Dog and the bike all end up in a sort of a heap, blocking the way, at which point I'm not even sure what I want to do any more - and so what do I do?

smile towards the driver of that car. A woman.

She frowns.

I think, ukoh, she looks pissed off with us. I try to get moving again, but whilst I've been busy smiling, Mocha has walked away from the car, around my bike, onto my right - whilst her leash is still wrapped around my left wrist - and I end up standing there, arms crossed and the bike on a lean, but the lady is still frowning.

(And how we got out of there, I don't even remember any more, but we did, looking apologetic I bet, whilst the driver probably kept on frowning.)

And then when Mocha sorted out that whole stay-on-the-side-of-the-bike thing, other cool things started happening. Like, joggers approaching. (Boing!) An asian couple strolling on our right. ("Mocha, grraaaaaagh, stay on the... Khm, Mocha! Seriously! Sorry, guys, sorry - our first time on the bike. Grrrgh, Mocha... Goddamit!")

Ducks.

Jesus, don't even get me started on the ducks. I actually had to go and stop on the side of that pond there because the instant those ducks took flight my dog had apparently gone deaf and was heading straight for the water, across my biking path.

But no, really, after about 15 minutes we got sorted. I'm actually looking forward to doing it again.

I hope so is The Dog.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your next post doesn't come from a hospital.

    To be honest, I've never seen anyone riding a bike here with a dog attached to it. It's kind of a new concept for me. I wait with interest to see how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google "biking with dog" and have a look at the images?

      But to be fair, I might get one of those special hooks that attach to the bike so I'm not holding her leash in my hand because if I keep on doing that, I might, indeed, end up posting from the hospital one day.

      Though, on second thought: my husband will bring me books, not a laptop, so chances are I won't be posting from the hospital. Afterwards, maybe.

      Delete