On medical procedures and social concepts

I've heard before how Janet Frame was due to be lobotomized the next day after winning a major literary award and the procedure got cancelled precisely because of that award, but

did you also know that the guy who came up with lobotomy... got a Nobel prize for it? (Lobotomy!?)

I've sometimes wondered about that: how not so long ago certain medical procedures - or social concepts - have been widely recognized, even mainstream, and a generation or two later seem... silly. Sort of like wtf? silly.

It makes me aware of the fact that, I bet, there are medical procedures and social concepts out there now that a generation or two from now, people will look back on and think, wtf?

It reminds me about the importance of listening to myself more than listening to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment